Rumbling V8 engines, ground-pounding American muscle – these are the characteristics of Classic American Muscle cars, or as they are known in SCCA® Solo® – CAM cars.
These muscle cars which are so popular at the fancy auctions have also found a home in SCCA® fulfilling their purpose – getting them out of the garage and being pushed to their limits of something other than gathering dust.
SCCA has three classes for these types of cars – CAM C, CAM T
- CAM C: With the “C" standing for Contemporary, this class sees car and truck body styles from 1990-on, plus CAM T class cars. (Minimum weight w/o driver is 3300 lbs.)
- CAM T: In this case, the “T” stands for Traditional, and this class is for car and truck body styles originating from 1954-89. (Minimum weight w/o driver is 3000 lbs.)
- CAM S: The “S” stands for Sports and this class is where sports cars, sedans/coupes, and trucks with seating for 2 or more adults. (Minimum weight for 1984+ Corvettes and Vipers is 2900 lbs. Minimum weight for all other cars is 2500 lbs.)
For 2019 there will be a CAM Challenge Series with events around the country with Challenge Champions crowned in all three CAM classes and an Overall CAM Challenge Series Champion crowned in Lincoln at the 2019 Tire Rack SCCA Solo Nationals.
- Series Structure
- Points will be awarded at all of the events below, with the CAM Challenge Championship Finale (Solo Nationals) having weighted points (50% greater than season points). Details on points to be released at a later date
- Drivers will score their best two (2) CAM Challenge event in class AND the Challenge Championship Finale in Lincoln.
- CAM Challenge Series Champions in all three CAM classes; CAM-T, CAM-S, CAM-C
- Overall CAM Challenge Series Champion will receive a special award to be announced later
- CAM classes will continue as supplemental classes at the Solo National Championship event, although that event will be scored for points as part of the CAM Challenge Series.
2019 CAM Challenge Event Schedule
Southern States Tire Rack CAM Challenge
Gulf States Tire Rack CAM Challenge
Grenada Municipal Airport
Northern Pacific Tire Rack CAM Challenge
Crows Landing, CA
Central States Tire Rack CAM Challenge
Mineral Wells Airport
Mineral Wells, TX
Southern Pacific Tire Rack CAM Challenge
San Diego County Credit Union Stadium (formerly Qualcomm Stadium)
San Diego, CA
Eastern States Tire Rack CAM Challenge
Bunker Hill, IN
Tire Rack CAM Challenge Finale
Lincoln Air Park