• Andrew Steven Pedretti

Clarification on Classes, first time Solo racing

I just joined SCCA this year to build and race a 95 integra (non-type R). Based on just the model it looks like it could be built to any of the following classes. Can anyone tell me which would be first few classes based on stock to lightly modified (intake, exhaust, etc.) I think it starts at HS then EP then FSP.

- H street class (HS)
    - Street Touring Xtreme (STX)
    - Street Touring Sport (STS)
    - D Street Prepared (DSP)
    - F Street Prepared (FSP)
    - E Prepared (EP)

-other specialty classes.

• Post to Thread
    • Andrew Steven Pedretti

I did and didn't. I've tried picking the classes based on the car (95 integra is allowed in x,y,z class) and I've tried picking the class from those classes based on the condition i would like the car to be in (modifications, easy of maintenance, etc.) I THINK I should be building to the D Street Prepared class to allow for removal of the defunct A/C system, forward/back dating components (OEM) and add some bracing/suspension work. I'm hoping to find out in the next month or so from Land O' Lakes region members to get a realistic idea.

• Paul H Tibbals

Are you an experienced driver or are you building a car and starting autocross at the same time?  If the latter, that's a really tough row to hoe. 

DSP is a class where typically very experienced drivers are building their cars up, so trying to catch up to them while building the car can lead to not getting the racing results you want and getting discouraged with autocross.  Which is NOT what we want!

There is a lot of info on the Integras out there to be sure and building can be fun but building AND learning to be competitive, without knowing how much each mod is helping, can be very confusing.  If this is the case I would suggest trying out the car in Street for a season, getting as many events and as much seat time as you can, maybe with a swaybar size/location that experienced Integra drivers recommend.  (It varies between cars - a rear bar will equalize out some push, but sometimes the camber control gained with a front bar will keep the tires vertical enough better that total grip will increase, and tire wear will decrease at least on the edges. Though front wheelspin under power may increase with a front bar, that's how it worked on my first car.)

The big pluses of autocross are learning car control and getting your fun on the track rather than on the street (reducing the street-racing impulse).  It's easier to learn car control when you aren't changing the car constantly during a build.  And once you get to a level of control and consistency, then car changes are easier to evaluate.  Good luck and have fun!

• Andrew Steven Pedretti

"building" a car and starting autocross would be accurate. The issue with classing isn't so much wanting to continuously upgrade the car but an issue with tech requirements requiring equipment that is no longer with the car and would be pricey to replace (aka airbox snorkel, missing heat shield, trim). Suspension, tires and weight reduction (broken A/C :P) would more likely be next year unless allowed by whatever class I start in.

Thank you for the insight on the DSP class, I kinda figured that was shooting a little too high for starting in autocross. I'll be meeting up with LOL group on April 28th for the spring track event to spectate at the bare minimum and get their take on the Integra. If i'm lucky maybe another integra owner has some take offs i can buy if need be.

• Paul H Tibbals

Hope you got an answer elsewhere - these forums are kind of slow, traffic wise.  If you want to run in Street, you can't remove any systems from the car.  However if the A/C is present but non-op, I don't think anyone is going to complain about the belt being missing! On some cars that is a problem as other systems like power steering are on the same belt - I know that from experience :-/    Likewise in STS. 

If the A/C was totally optional for your model of car then you could remove it as long as the car content is equal to an available model.

You can't remove any systems that were not optional until you go all the way to something like Street Prepared or Street Modified, and I am not sure what the boundaries are there, not having run in those classes.  But you can get the full rulebook online, this link should work:

https://www.scca.com/downloads/44442-2019-solo-rules-book-1-complete-2019-02-26-reduced/download

For Street, you can basically change/delete the air filter (only), shocks, brake pads, change the exhaust after the catalyst using stock locations, and add/delete one sway bar.  No cold air intake.  Wheels must be stock width, +/- 1 inch in diameter, offset can only be different by 1/4 or less, see the rules.

STS has a lot of permitted mods including the CAI, springs, bushings/mounts, and usually altering your ECU is allowed.  But check the rules carefully.

• Andrew Steven Pedretti

I think i narrowed it down to 
      H street class (HS) - Ie Stock
      Street touring Sport (STS) - standard modifications, street legal

however I'm trying to locate rules on air conditioning systems. Mine is seized and the belt snapped on the previous owner. 

• Brian Jones

Another infrequent poster here.  Adding typical tuner mods would move you to STX (not STS).  Only real difference is a wider selecton of wheel & tire sizes.  STX allows for lots of suspension and even some types of bracing too.  Do what's reasonable as far as replacing missing components.  At the local autox level most everyone's pretty friendly and understanding about budget.  Focus on driving skills and having fun, not the 385pg rulebook.