Dominance Develops Despite Track Change During Second Day of SCCA Western Conference U.S. Majors Tour at Thunderhill Raceway Park
WILLOWS, Calif. (April 10, 2016) – This weekend’s SCCA Western Conference U.S. Majors Tour event at Thunderhill Raceway Park in Willows, California, saw multiple drivers claim back-to-back wins during two days of racing. What makes that unique is the fact that Saturday’s Round Five competition was conducted on Thunderhill’s “Three Mile Track,” while Sunday’s Round Six took place on the circuit’s “Five Mile Track” layout.
Seventeen drivers managed to claim wins on both Saturday and Sunday. Of particular note is Tom Wickersham who racked up four victories in all, two in Touring 3 and another two in the Touring 4 Class. This duplicates Wickersham’s performance from earlier in the year when he pulled off the same feat during Round 3 and Round 4 of the Western Conference U.S. Majors Tour at Willow Springs International Raceway.
Another driver who had a unique back-to-back performance at Thunderhill was Todd Harris. The Spec Racer Ford Gen3 winner from Saturday turned around and jumped in a Spec Racer Ford on Sunday to claim a second triumph.
“We’re going to the Runoffs at Mid-Ohio this year and plan on running in both Spec Racer Ford Classes,” Harris said at the conclusion of racing on Sunday. “Thought it would be good to get time in both cars this weekend. Plus, it’s fun to get a double win.”
Other drivers that scored two in-class wins at Thunderhill include: Kyle Keenan (B-Spec), Aaron Downey (E Production), Michael Cummings (H Production), Randy Cook (Formula 1000), Steve Baumhoff (Formula Atlantic), Brandon Aleckson (Formula Enterprise), Aaron Meyer (Formula Vee), Michael Lewis (GT-1), William Brinkop (GT-2), Troy Ermish (GT-Lite), Jim Devenport (Prototype 1), Rob Conrad (Prototype 2), Oscar Jackson (Super Touring Under), Kenneth Davis (Touring 1), and Darrell Anderson (Touring 2).
The SCCA U.S. Majors Tour Western Conference is now midway through its 2016 calendar after Round Five and Round Six at Thunderhill Raceway Park. The Western Conference battle continues April 29-May 1 at Buttonwillow Raceway Park in Buttonwillow, California. More information can be found at SCCA.com/majors.
Following are race winners from Sunday’s Round Six of the SCCA Western Conference U.S. Majors Tour on the “Five Mile Track” at Thunderhill Raceway Park with Class: Name, Hometown and Car.
- B-Spec: Kyle Keenan, Vancouver, Wash.; Kia Rio 5
- E Production: Aaron Downey, Rossmoor, Calif.; Mazda RX-3
- F Production: Tom Tuttle, Windsor, Calif.; MG Midget
- H Production: Michael Cummings, Martinez, Calif.; Austin Healey S
- Formula 1000: Randy Cook, Palo Alto, Calif.; JDR F1000
- Formula Atlantic: Steve Baumhoff, Atherton, Calif.; Elan Star Mazda
- Formula Continental: Scott Vreeland, Livermore, Calif.; Van Diemen RF01
- Formula Enterprises: Brandon Aleckson, Campbell, Calif.; Van Diemen FE
- Formula F: Denny Renfrow, Santa Clara, Calif.; Piper/Honda DL
- Formula Mazda: Austen Charles, Newhall, Calif.; Formula Mazda
- Formula Vee: Aaron Meyer, Roseville, Calif.; Protoform P2
- GT-1: Michael Lewis, Poway, Calif.; Jaguar XKR
- GT-2: William Brinkop, Merced, Calif.; Chevrolet Corvette
- GT-3: Gary Bockman, Portland, OR; Mazda RX-3
- GT-Lite: Troy Ermish, Tracy, Calif.; Datsun 510
- Prototype 1: Jim Devenport, Modesto, Calif.; Norma M20FC
- Prototype 2: Rob Conrad, Sunnyvale, Calif.; Mazda VanDiemen
- Spec Miata: Daniel Langon, Alamo, Calif.; Mazda Miata
- Spec Racer Ford Gen 3: John Black, Olympic Valley, Calif.; Spec Racer Ford
- Spec Racer Ford: Todd Harris, Portland, Oregon; Spec Racer Ford
- Super Touring Lite: Andrie Hartanto, Concord, Calif.; Acura Integra
- Super Touring Under: Oscar Jackson, Chino, Calif.; Scion FR-S
- Touring 1: Kenneth Davis, Escondido, Calif.; Chevrolet Corvette
- Touring 2: Darrell Anderson, Petaluma, Calif.; Ford Mustang
- Touring 3: Tom Wickersham, Piedmont, Calif.; Ford Mustang
- Touring 4: Tom Wickersham, Piedmont, Calif.; Mazda RX-8
Photo: Super Touring Under driver Oscar Jackson grabs his checker flag after winning Sunday at the SCCA Western Conference U.S. Majors Tour at Thunderhill Raceway Park. Jackson claimed back-to-back wins during the weekend.
Credit: Sports Car Club of America