2020 PINEWOOD DERBY
Everyone's favorite SCCA National Convention activity will return this year as the 3rd annual SCCA Pinewood Derby. This year’s event will focus more on compliance and competition. Scheduled to start at 6 pm Thursday night in the hallway right next to the Convention registration.
There will be two classes; Spec Boy Scout of America (BSA) and Over Engineered (OE). Spec BSA cars are subject to the rules and regulations of BSA Pinewood Derby competitions. OE cars only have a few rules (see below).
Anyone interested in competing will need to register at the convention registration window from 1-4 pm Thursday. At the time of registration, the competitor’s car will be teched and impounded until competition. Any BSA car found non-compliant will have the option to fix the issue or move to the OE class.
Rental cars will be available.
Classes and rules
It is each competitor's responsibility to familiarize themselves with the latest Derby rules.
- Any car that leaves their track area before hitting the finish stopper will be disqualified.
- Each overall class winner will face off to determine an overall winner.
Spec BSA (BSA) -
-Download Spec BSA rules here
- No adjustments allowed to the car once impounded.
Over Engineered (OE) –
- Must pass a TSA security gate inspection
- Must fit in the starting position of the track. 3.5 inches wide by 8 inches long.
- Maximum weight of 8 oz
- At least 3 wheels on the car
- Any OE competitor will be allowed to make one 3 minute or less adjustment to the car during the competition (between rounds).
Event Schedule –
Thursday, Jan 16, 2020
- 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm Registration, and tech – convention registration window
- 6:00 pm – 6:45 pm Event competition