TOPEKA, Kan. (March 19, 2014) – The Sports Car Club of America family was saddened to learn of the passing of one of its greatest Solo champions, Tommy Saunders, in an accident in Panama City Beach, Fla. on Wednesday morning.
Saunders was a 12-time SCCA Solo National Champion, trailing only John Thomas’ 17 open-class titles. Saunders was the 2006 Driver of Eminence winner and the 2008 recipient of the Roger Johnson Spirit of the Sport Award. The 62-year-old had the second-longest tenure between his first and last National Championship, covering the 25 years between 1983 and 2008.
Off the track, Saunders was known for his big personality. Despite his successes, Saunders remained approachable to anyone at events.
More information will be posted here as it becomes available.
- SCCA Unveils New-Look Convention, MSX Schedule and Pricing - 11/20/2014
- Solo Triad Winners and Majors Champions Profiles Online - 11/14/2014
- 2015 Tire Rack SCCA National Solo Schedule Revealed - 11/11/2014
- Nomination Due Date for SCCA Member of Excellence Approaching - 11/06/2014
- Pirelli World Challenge Race Winners Take on Tire Rack Solo Nationals - 09/10/2014