TOPEKA, Kan. (March 19, 2014) – The Sports Car Club of America family was saddened to learn of the passing of one of its greatest Solo champions, Tommy Saunders, in an accident in Panama City Beach, Fla. on Wednesday morning.
Saunders was a 12-time SCCA Solo National Champion, trailing only John Thomas’ 17 open-class titles. Saunders was the 2006 Driver of Eminence winner and the 2008 recipient of the Roger Johnson Spirit of the Sport Award. The 62-year-old had the second-longest tenure between his first and last National Championship, covering the 25 years between 1983 and 2008.
Off the track, Saunders was known for his big personality. Despite his successes, Saunders remained approachable to anyone at events.
More information will be posted here as it becomes available.
- Kummer to Vacate Club Racing Post - 08/29/2014
- Pirelli World Challenge Travels North for Penultimate Event - 08/29/2014
- RallyCross National Championship Early Registration to Close this Weekend - 08/29/2014
- 2014 Runoffs Early Registration Deadline Is Friday - 08/28/2014
- Road Rally Community Prepares for National Championship - 08/28/2014