Charlotte, N.C. (March 7, 2014) - The SCCA National Convention got underway from the Charlotte Westin on Friday afternoon with the Sports Car Club of America Annual Meeting, followed by a full afternoon of awards, speakers and fellowship.
The annual meeting, required by the Club’s bylaws each year, recapped the year and looked ahead to 2014.
John Walsh, Chairman of the SCCA Board of Directors, welcomed the attendees on behalf of the Board. Walsh recognized outgoing directors Dr. Jerry Wannarka, Lisa Noble and Phil Creighton and introduced incoming Board members Terry Hanushek, Peter Zekert and Tere Pulliam.
Lisa Noble, serving as interim president/CEO, greeted attendees with a positive outlook on the Club’s future, and a rallying cry to engage the membership in ways we haven’t before.
Citing statistics that prove that involved participants are more likely to renew annually, Noble encouraged Region leaders to communicate directly with their members.
“Member engagement impacts everything,” Noble said. “We have to redefine what it means to participate. It’s not just driving or working. It also includes family members, supporters and enthusiasts. Participation can be as simple as leaning on the fence and watching, or flipping through SportsCar. We’re a 60,000 strong club.”
Following Noble’s address, SCCA Pro Racing President Tom Campbell and SCCA Enterprises President Erik Skirmants expressed optimism for the near future of both subsidiaries.
Further updates through the day, including award winners, will be found right here on SCCA.com.
- SCCA and Speedway Motors Partner for CAM Challenge, Invitation To Goodguys Autocross Finals - 01/27/2015
- SCCA Members Wittmer, Lawrence and Keating Take Home A Rolex From Daytona - 01/25/2015
- SCCA Drivers Leading Charge After Six of 24 Hours In Daytona - 01/24/2015
- Multi-time SCCA Trans Am Champion Tommy Kendall Named to Motorsports Hall of Fame - 01/23/2015
- RallyCross Contingency Awards Posted for 2015 - 01/23/2015