Fontana, Calif. (January 17, 2014) – Following two weeks of action to open the Eastern Conference season, the Western Conference Majors Tour gets its first shot at competition this weekend on the opposite coast.
Hot, sunny skies covered Auto Club Speedway and the entire Inland Empire on Friday for practice and the opening qualifying session on the 17-turn, 2.880-mile course.
More than 200 cars, with several more expected for Saturday morning, were on track in the seven race groups for the 25-minute afternoon qualifying. One additional 15-minute session on Saturday morning will set the grid for Saturday’s 30-minute timed races.
On Sunday, both Friday and Saturday’s qualifying sessions will count for the grid, as will the fast lap in Saturday’s race. Sunday’s races are 17 laps or 40 minutes, whichever comes first.
The opening weekend of the Western Conference Majors Tour, of course, is the first step toward the return of the Runoffs to the West Coast at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca this October. For the first time since 1968, the National Champions will be crowned west of the Rocky Mountains and give this Conference a home event.
More information on the Auto Club Speedway event, including schedule, results, entry list, and more, will be available at SCCA.com/ACSMajors all weekend.
- SCCA Convention, MSX Expo Wrap Sunday In The Charlotte Convention Center - 03/09/2014
- Club Heroes Join SCCA Hall of Fame Saturday Night In Charlotte - 03/08/2014
- First Batch of 2013 Awards Handed Out In Charlotte - 03/07/2014
- Annual Meeting Opens Convention From Charlotte - 03/07/2014
- Convention Just 24 Hours From Opening Day - 03/06/2014