Watkins Glen, N.Y. (July 5, 2013) – Both the Eastern Conference and the Western Conference U.S. Majors Tour finales are underway, with the BFGoodrich Tires Watkins Glen Super Tour serving as the season ender on the right coast and the Majors at Portland International Raceway the left coast crescendo.
Nearly 300 cars on the entry list for Watkins Glen, giving it a chance to be the largest event this year in the Eastern Conference. Seven race groups qualified this morning in 25-minute sessions to set provisional poles for Saturday’s race, then repeated the process in the afternoon for Sunday’s grids.
Each driver will get one more shot at a fast lap on Saturday morning before the 14-lap races at the 3.4-mile circuit.
Even with a rogue gray cloud hovering early afternoon, temperatures at Watkins Glen reached a muggy 86 degrees on Friday. While evening thunderstorms are possible, chances of those lingering into Saturday’s races are slim.
Out west, Friday clouds kept morning practice and afternoon qualifying cool. More sunshine is in the forecast for the weekend.
Champions in the Western Conference will be crowned in 23 lap or 35 minute races, whichever comes first.
Live timing for both the Eastern and Western Conference, as well as the Mid-States Conference races at High Plains Raceway beginning tomorrow, are available on the Race Monitor App for smart phones and tablets. On a computer, live timing, notes and the PA Audio feed from BFGoodrich Tires Watkins Glen Super Tour can be found from the links at www.scca.com/SCCALive.
Friday’s qualifying results from Watkins Glen can be found at www.scca.com/WGIMajors.
- SCCA and Speedway Motors Partner for CAM Challenge, Invitation To Goodguys Autocross Finals - 01/27/2015
- SCCA Members Wittmer, Lawrence and Keating Take Home A Rolex From Daytona - 01/25/2015
- SCCA Drivers Leading Charge After Six of 24 Hours In Daytona - 01/24/2015
- Multi-time SCCA Trans Am Champion Tommy Kendall Named to Motorsports Hall of Fame - 01/23/2015
- RallyCross Contingency Awards Posted for 2015 - 01/23/2015