SCCA Clarifies STL Participation at 2012 Runoffs
TOPEKA, Kan (Aug. 8, 2012) – Sports Car Club of America released the following information about the Super Touring® Lite (STL) class and its participation in the 2012 SCCA National Championship Runoffs®.
STL has been included in the 2012 Runoffs as a supplemental class for 2012, with a full National Championship race planned beginning in 2013. This was done due to the late date (December 2011) of the approval of the STL concept into National competition for this year.
On December 5, 2011, it was announced that “Drivers qualifying for the National Championship Runoffs in STL will be invited to compete in STU with their STL cars.” SCCA wishes to clarify how this class will be handled at the Runoffs in 2012.
Any driver meeting the event qualification criteria in 2012 is eligible to participate in the event. That criteria is listed here: http://www.scca.com/clubracing/content.cfm?cid=45934, including: Having a minimum of four starts (two within your Division) and four finishes within STL AND meet one of the following criteria:
- Finish in the top three in STL within your Divisional Point Championship
- Finish in the top half of the coast-to-coast National Point Standings
- Finish eight or more National races
- Note that there is no minimum point threshold based on 2011 competition numbers as STL did not compete in National races in 2011.
- STL will run with STU throughout the week, including qualifying and the race
- STL will be treated as any other class would be with regard to grid positions in qualifying per the event supplemental regulations
- STL will be split start from STU for the race per the supplemental regulations
- STL will have a podium ceremony after the STU podium ceremony following the race
- STL cars will be subject to technical inspection throughout the event, just as any other class
STL is being run as an exhibition, or supplemental class. It is recognized the same as a class that does not reach the minimum entry of 10 cars, and therefore will not formally crown a National Champion.