ALTON, Va. (April 19, 2013) – A full day of qualifying for Rounds Five and Six of the Eastern Conference Majors Tour ended prematurely on Friday when a band of thunderstorms rolled through southern Virginia, forcing a red flag on the opening day of the BFGoodrich Tires VIR Super Tour at Virginia International Raceway.
The schedule originally called for each of the seven race groups to run a 25-minute qualifying session in the morning for Saturday’s races, and a 25-minute session in the afternoon with times going toward Sunday’s races.
The storm cell moved through the area 10 minutes into the afternoon session for Group Six containing Formula F, Formula Vee and Formula 500. That session was checkered, and the Group Seven session for Production, GT-Lite, STL, STU, T3, T4 and B-Spec was moved to 8:05 a.m. on Saturday morning.
The original schedule, which includes an additional 15 minutes of qualifying to set the grid for Saturday’s races, followed by 14 lap races for each group, will run in order following the delay.
The remaining forecast for the weekend calls for temperatures in the mid-60s and mostly sunny skies.
Follow along with live notes, timing, and audio from the circuit at www.scca.com/SCCALive. More information on the SCCA U.S. Majors Tour is available at www.sccamajors.com. Follow SCCA on Twitter @SCCAOfficial, or like the Club on Facebook at www.facebook.com/SCCAOfficial.
- Spec Miata Under The Lights At Daytona Highlights 2015 SCCA Runoffs Schedule - 04/24/2015
- Sunday Recap: Day Two of Majors Action from VIR - 04/19/2015
- Saturday Recap: Race One from VIR - 04/18/2015
- Friday Recap: Majors Qualifying from VIR - 04/17/2015
- West Coast Drivers Fight Hard at Thunderhill’s Western Conference Majors Round Eight - 04/12/2015