AUSTIN, Texas (Feb. 7, 2013) – In response to tremendous input from competitors and the progression of a new relationship with a new venue, Lone Star Region and the U.S. Majors Tour have announced a number of changes for the upcoming BFGoodrich Tires SCCA Super Tour event at Circuit of the Americas, March 8-10.
Following a meeting that included the event Race Chairman, event and series Chief Stewards and the U.S. Majors Tour Director, the following changes have been made to the event schedule:
- Group 1 (Spec Miata) and Group 4 (F5, FF, FV) will switch, with the small formula cars becoming Group 1 and Spec Miata becoming Group 4. This is done to accommodate drivers entered in multiple run groups.
- Saturday’s qualifying will be gridded based on Friday afternoon’s practice times. Sunday’s qualifying will be gridded based on a driver’s fast lap from Saturday’s race. This will provide a more orderly beginning to each session and quell the desire to be on grid long before a session begins to secure a particular position.
- Both qualifying sessions (Saturday and Sunday) have been lengthened to 20 minutes. This may cause an overtime situation with applicable charges to the track, which the organizers recognize and accept as a possibility.
- Tech will open up on Thursday evening. Details to follow.
- Split starts for multi-class groups are being considered. Any split starts will be announced prior to the event.
- The Friday morning track walk has been cancelled by COTA. Track management needs time to sweep the circuit and there is not enough daylight to do this and the track walk.
In addition to the schedule changes, the following information has been released:
- Load-in for Wednesday test participants will occur at 3 p.m. on Tuesday, March 5. Load-in for Thursday test participants will occur at 3 p.m. on Wednesday, March 6. It is possible that a Thursday test participant may be parked on Tuesday, but only after the Wednesday testers have been parked and only if time permits.
- Teams testing will be parked once for the entire week, meaning test paddock spots will also be the event paddock spot.
- Teams testing that have rented a garage will be able to also rent the garage for the test through COTA for $250 (cash or check). For test days, the garages will only be rented to those that have them rented for the weekend.
- Teams parked in the front (main) paddock will park on a North/South axis. Back paddock parking will be at the direction of the Chief Paddock Marshal.
- The Chief Paddock Marshal has full authority on load-in and parking spots. Teams desiring to paddock together are encouraged to stage together for load-in.
- Fuel will be available at the circuit’s gas station between the main and back paddock Wednesday through Sunday. Available fuel is VP MS101 Unleaded, VP 100 Leaded, VP 114 Leaded. All VP race fuels are $9.50/gallon (cash or check only). 93 Octane Unleaded will be available for purchase from COTA for approximately $6/gallon. Location of the 93 Octane is TBD.
- Golf cart rentals are available from Golf Cars of Austin (16150 IH 35, Buda, TX 78610 - Phone 512-312-4115, www.golfcarsofaustin.com). Two-seat electric carts are available for the weekend for $250, which includes delivery.
- Vick Racing Outfitters will be on site with racing supplies. (800-377-0944, www.vro.com)
The race chairman and the entire race organizing staff thank everyone for their feedback and patience as we prepare for this historic event!
For all of the latest information on the BFGoodrich Tires SCCA COTA Super Tour, the opening round of the SCCA Majors Mid-States Conference and a part of the SafeRacer SCCA National Racing Series, please visit www.scca.com/cota.
- Spec Miata Rules, Tow Fund Among SCCA December BoD Decisions - 12/18/2014
- SCCA President Recognized by the Women's Sport Foundation Project Podium - 12/16/2014
- New Class of SCCA Hall of Fame Inductees Announced - 12/10/2014
- SCCA Top Brass to Speak at Race Track Business Conference in Indianapolis - 12/08/2014
- Ad-hoc Committees for Prototype Classes Dissolved - 12/01/2014