TOPEKA, Kan. (December 4, 2012) – Sports Car Club of America announced today the qualification criteria for the 50th SCCA National Championship Runoffs®, set for Road America Sept. 16-22, 2013.
The qualification process is largely unchanged from 2012, with paths through the Divisional Points, National Points and now the U.S. Majors Tour. Additionally, as the Runoffs’ Golden Anniversary, all former Champions are invited to participate in the event.
As was the case in 2012, to qualify through either Divisional or National point standings, a driver must finish four SafeRacer National Racing Series races (regular National or U.S. Majors Tour events included), with a minimum of two starts within their Division of Record. Once the participation criteria are met, at least one of the following performance criteria is required:
- Finish in the top three of their class in their Divisional Championship.
- Finish in the top half of the coast-to-coast, National Point Standings within their class during 2013.
- Reach or exceed a minimum number of points for a given class in the National Point Standings (listed below), set by the top half of the 2012 National Point Standings.
Through the U.S. Majors Tour, any driver participating in three different Majors events in the same class (turning a wheel in an official session) will earn an invitation in that class. This criteria was used in 2012 for the Majors pilot program in what has become the Mid-States Conference.
A special invitation will be extended to any past SCCA National Champion to return to the 50th running of the Runoffs, provided that they qualify for a National license. Any past Runoffs National Champion may enter one class at the 2013 Runoffs without meeting the participation or performance criteria.
“Not only will we crown our annual National Champions at the 2013 Runoffs, but we will celebrate 50 years of one of the great motorsports events in America,” SCCA President & CEO Jeff Dahnert said. “As part of that celebration, we invite any of our past Champions to return to battle today’s best amateur racing drivers. You only have one 50th birthday, and we want to make sure that the event be as spectacular as the racing on the track.”
Mid-point of 2012 SafeRacer SCCA National Racing Series point standings, by class:
American Sedan: 36 points
B Spec: (using SSC level): 40 points
C Sports Racing: 38 points
D Sports Racing: 33 points
E Production: 39 points
F Production: 26 points
Formula 500: 36 points
Formula 1000: 43 points
Formula Atlantic: 25 points
Formula Continental: 22 points
Formula Enterprises: 28 points
Formula F: 22 points
Formula Mazda: 32 points
Formula Vee: 32 points
GT-1: 25 points
GT-2: 36 points
GT-3: 38 points
GT-Lite: 34 points
H Production: 31 points
Sports 2000: 24 points
Spec Miata: 10 points
Spec Racer Ford: 13 points
Super Touring Lite: 19 points
Super Touring Under: 20 points
Touring 1: 47 points
Touring 2: 44 points
Touring 3: 45 points
Touring 4 (using SSB level): 50 points
The 2013 SafeRacer SCCA National Racing Series, U.S. Majors Tour and BFGoodrich Tires SCCA Super Tour begins January 4-6, 2013 at Sebring International Raceway.
- 2015 Majors Date At New Jersey Moved Up One Week - 09/30/2014
- Mazda Behind The Zoom Forum On Mazda Raceway Open Wednesday Evening - 09/23/2014
- SCCA Members Featured Prominently In Safe is Fast video - 09/19/2014
- SCCA Announces 2015 Majors Schedule, Moves to Five Conferences - 09/18/2014
- Nation-wide Points Champions Crowned In SCCA SafeRacer Club Racing Program - 09/12/2014